Discovery Shopping Mall, Kuta

Greetings from Seminyak, Bali.

Sorry for not blogging for a couple of days - my ankle was playing up after Pilates on Tuesday so Wednesday just couldn't be bothered to blog - oh the tragedy!

Yesterday was just too busy - went to Pilates in the morning at 10am - was a super session - only 3 in the class today and boy was it a tough one! For something so low impact it is totally awesome how many muscles you use! I am sure I am using muscles that have not worked for decades - well at least it feels that way today - ha ha. So feeling a little muscle sore today to put it mildly - but fantastic all the same - I love being able to do Pilates 3 times a week and I must say they have turned out to be the best classes I have ever attended. Brooke is my trainer and she is awesome - she is here from Canada for 12 months with her husband - who also happens to be in the fitness area and is working for a gym at a large hotel - cannot remember the name though. She is very very good and so very very fit!

After Pilates yesterday we took our laundry out to be done - there is a great place just down the road we have found - so about a week's worth of laundry costs about 50,000 to 60,000 rupiah - which is less than $10 - so it is great value. Pick them up this afternoon cos there was a big storm yesterday and they lost power otherwise we could have picked the laundry up this morning - great service!

After the laundry we decided to go to Discovery Shopping Mall as I wanted to get a new pair of gym pants - how exciting! This is the most out of place shopping mall EVER! - it is quite an eyesore from the beachside but it does have some awesome shops - great to browse! It has a Periplus bookstore there which is why we love to shop here - as you know Peter and I both avid booklovers - so we always stop in there to have a browse. AND OF COURSE I had to buy the third in the Twilight series - Eclipse. I know I know I am too old to read this sort of stuff - but some of you would already know that I have a thing for vampires - being my favourite book OF ALL TIME is Lost Souls by Poppy Z Brite. The Twilight series is of course not in the same vein (I know terrible pun) but I find it a good read nonetheless... And needless to say I loved the movie Twilight - and I know too old for that as well - but hey I don't care.

Anyway I just wanted to tell a little travel story today as well - as some of you may know we spent a few days on Gili Trawangan at the end of last year - new years eve to be exact (31 December 2008 and 1-2 January 2009). Anyway we went to lunch one day at an Indian restaurant near the beach (what am I saying ALL the restaurants are near the beach) at Pesona Resort:

So it looked like a nice Indian restaurant and it was very pleasant sitting there in the shade looking out over the pool to the beach. So as you do in an Indian restaurant you order several different dishes and eat a little bit of each. One thing on their menu was an Onion Salad - which sounded nice and refreshing but I must admit we were expecting something a little different than the following picture:

As you can see it is what looks like an ENTIRE ONION chopped up and placed on a plate with a tiny wedge of lime and a piece of tomato, 2 pieces of cucumber and a bit of lettuce! Honestly, we both like onions BUT as a dish this left us quite bemused - hence the photographs. I cannot imagine anyone being able to eat an ENTIRE plate of onions like this - apart from this dish the rest of the meal was quite enjoyable. Needless to say we did not eat the entire plateful of onion - Peter tried but I must admit I could only eat maybe 2 slices before I gave up - Peter ate a few more than I but it makes a good story. To us this is a plateful of onion NOT an onion salad.

Thanks for reading and more tomorrow!

Sampi Nanti

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kicking back watching Extras by Ricky Gervais

Paradiso Bowling & Billiard Center

To Hell in High Heels